Wednesday 3 July 2013

Blogging

After two months away, I am back.  I managed to kick Uni in the ass and will be graduating next Monday with a 2.1 in BA (Hons) English Language and Journalism.  I have been working in a sun bed shop to pass the time. Oh, and to save the thousands of pounds I will need for my travels in September. Lol. Next joke.

I recently turned 22 and after a wild night out (which I would rather forget) I think I would like to just stay at this age for at least the next 10 years.  I swear it is all down hill from here.  What's good about 22?  Well, it is not just 21 aka the 'grown up' version of turning 18, where you are still young and 'learning about yourself'.  22 is just an age, no biggy.  But then there is 23... which is pretty much 25.  In the words of Blink 182 "Nobody likes you when you're 23".  So, 22 is my settled age.  My inner 15 year old scene self is howling with laughter that I'm in my 20's.

I've always liked the idea of writing a blog, but to begin you must always do/be one of several things.

1) Be fashionable/super kooky... What is even is fashionable?  I'm not going to post pictures of me wearing mismatched print with a neon belt with wedged trainers just because society tells me I should be wearing them!  I actually find wedged trainers highly offensive.  I wear things that I like, God for bid, only one print at a time! And mainly plain things, or so I am told.  But who asked you?  This is my blog!

2) Write like the dictionary just threw up on you.  I have read so many blogs that are written in such a 'whimsical' fashion; "Oh, the trees whistled as I walked along the cliff, the waves crashing like the thoughts around my head."  Seriously, SNORE OFF.  Go fall off that cliff.  Or write a book.

3) Thinking that writing Carrie Bradshaw-esque will kick start some big time city lifestyle magazine career.  She is non fiction.  Granted, the most talented, sophisticated and over all cool non fiction WOMAN in the world, but real life doesn't happen like that.  Maybe apart from relationships with men like Mr Big.  Am I the only person who thinks he's a dick?  Douchebags like him definitely exist.

4) Randomly start up on the first post with something other blogs tell us should be in our blogs.  'Blog-worthy'?  No.  I don't have a clue how you start these things.  Like, hey... I'm Rachel.  Why not?  I AM Rachel.  I'm not some shit cheap dress I'm pretending a quirky cheap boutique sent me to hype over.  Soz.

So there, maybe someone somewhere might see this, maybe not.  Who cares.  I'm not going to act really girly and weird and write about LFW when I'm not actually there and copy 'up and coming trends' from Grazia even though they're minging.  I am not going to pretend I don't swear and write in a way that makes me seem lovely and coy; yes, I have a rag lamb that I can't sleep without but it doesn't mean I am going to write how the texture and smells of it's worn fabrics warm my heart back to childhood.  It doesn't even have a gender for f's sake.  Blogs are about writing and opinions and hopefully bettering my skills and maaaaaaybe gaining the confidence to look into magazine journalism properly.  I'd love a column.  I'm a dreamer, what can I say.  Is this me starting my blog?  Suppose it is.

R x

No comments:

Post a Comment